Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Your Hippy Dippy Weather Man

I'm here at the radio station typing this as it turns out that all of Savannah and the surrounding area is without power as we speak. The radio station has a back up generator in case of such matters, but this turned out worse than anyone could have thought. The National Weather Service gave warnings of tornados in the area and one touched down on a major power grid, knocking out electricity for over 150,000 homes. I just happened to be on the Southside of town when it hit and very carefully made my way to the radio station as it was nearby. It also has power and I could find out from sources how everything went down.

What makes this so ironic is that this is St. Patrick's Day weekend here in town and is a very big deal in Savannah. I went on the air on one of the stations to let people know that if they were on River Street or anywhere festivities were going on to please go home and drive with the upmost care then traffic lights were not working. I updated listeners on the tornado status and if they were without power and listening on a car or battery powered radio that Georgia Power is restoring everything, but that it would take time and please be patient. I look at the whole thing this way: We're safe and no one has died becasue of this, at least from what I know as I put this down. So on that note, I am going to take a nap on the station couch and get me a few hours sleep and pray that we'll have power back on my side of town on Sunday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home