Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Blurry

As some of you know by now, I host karaoke shows for two reasons: Money and the fun of it. Recently, I had two gigs during the weekend, however since the other bar I worked had the stupidity to drop me after I was sent to salvage the gig after the last guy was a complete jackhole and screwed it up (it is long story that I don't really want to go into here), I'm down to one place left.

The name of the bar is called Steed's and it's on Echols Street. It's sort of hidden away off Abercorn between the Green Frog and the Saturn Used Car place , but once you turn off and look to the right quickly, you can't miss it. I'm there on Saturday nights from 8 pm until, which I should mention is also my dialysis day. I've only been there for three weeks and I've left my mark. Not like a cat who leaves a stinky, yellow mark on your new jeans to let you know who is boss of the house of course, but you get the point.

The way I handle the bar, as I do with any karaoke gig is just have fun with it and never take any of it seriously, until it comes time to sing. Otherwise, we're gonna have some fun with the whole idea of the concept. With Steed's however, it's different due to the fact that we have (so far) a very light amount people show up. Last week, we had about seven people get up and sing the whole night, which I thought worked for me considering the day earlier. So, I took what I had and worked with it to make it bigger, kind of like the story of the man who made stone soup. Ask somebody about it as I don't have time to tell it right now.

Last night was a rough one. I had to go into the radio station to do a show for later that night on the air and I still had to do my show at Steed's. That didn't give me time to rest after the clinic earlier. Needless to say, I was worn out when I went to pick up the equpiment to do the show from the folks I work with for the show. They were very concerned that I wouldn't be able to do the show, but I assured them that I culd pull it off if I could just sit for a few and catch my breath for a few. When I got to the bar, it was quiet with only a handful of folks there due to rain plus the NFL playoffs were happening at the same time, which meant it was going to be a slow night. Other than Gina the bartender getting up to do a few songs that night, there were only two others who got up to sing. One was a woman named Genna, who loves Pasty Cline and the Rightious Brothers. So much so, that she asked me to sing Bill Medley's part on "You Lost That Loving Feeling". Sadly, she had toleave becasue she wasn't feeling too well. Fortunatly, I had a surprise from Sheryl, whom I met from My Space and her boyfriend Bob. Sheryl also hosts karaoke gigs and can sing very well. She even took a shot at one of the most beautiful, but toughest songs in the world, "And I Am Telling You" from "Dreamgirls". Hey, it was just us at one point, so we just sang to sing. I even did "Easy Come, Easy Go" by George Straight and I had never even heard of it before. It was wonderful and I felt much better later that night.

If you have no plans on Saturday nights, you should come on down to Steed's. Right now, it's not so crowded, the beer is good and cold and we're having a blast, or at least I am. Just look for me in the corner of the bar when you walk in. I'll be the guy who looks like he's stoned, but he isn't.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home