Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Monday, April 30, 2007

Perks Of The Job

Even though I'm going to college to change careers, there is one thing about radio that I still love: THE FREE STUFF. Concert and movie tickets, cd's, clothes and of course, not having to pay for food. Yes, gift cerificates can be good when you're broke. Give a restaurant a plug and they'll be happy to send some grub your way.

For example, I was at work Friday night doing some production stuff when one of my co-workers came up to me and said that we had some chicken wings in the conference room. "Sure," I said. "I'll grab some when I'm done." About two minutes later, one of the girls from promotions came in and said, "Sam, come get some of these damn wings. NOW." I haven't heard an order like that since i was married. I figured I'd better find out what's going on with the wings.

As it turns out, there was a promotion for a concert featuring Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley or Boxcar Willie earlier that night that one of the country stations hosted. I dunno who was the star. I don't listen to country and that's the reason why it's the only station in the building I don't have a show on. Nonetheless, the station held a reception for fans, serving up hot wings. It seems that had soem left over for the show. At least fifty pound of hot wings left over and promotions didn't know what to do with them, so they brought 'em to the station in a huge beach cooler. They're lucky; they started out with one hundred pounds of wings.

Anyway, it was a good thing there were folks at work that night to eat. I gotta say that it was a hot wing paradise. A competiting food eater would have been in heaven and they still wouldn't have made a dent in it. There were at least five jocks on the air at that moment, so they got their fill. As for me...Well, let's just say I now have a freezer full of yardbird to last me though Memorial Day. At least if I have friends over then, I won't have to cook out now.

Yeah, sometimes I still love my job.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home