Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Big Mouth

In a few days, Don Imus wil be off the air for saying something dumb. As we used to say in the old neighborhood, "Goody for you, stupid."

I'm not gonna take this from the Black perspective, though I could. The term "nappy headed ho" has been tossed around by so many rappers these days, it's nothing, sadly. Mind you they say worse, but unless you threaten to take all the bling away, it won't stop and it should. We should go after the all the rappers who sterotype other Blacks, but I digress for the moment.

No, I'm going after Imus for just being a jerk. I've been in radio now for twenty three years and I've bumped into folks in the business who've told me stories about Imus and they way he treats folks off the air. No races in whole, but individuals. Allegedy, his treatment of fellow employees is horrible. If you've ever seen Howard Stern's "Private Parts" movie, with a meeting between Stern and Imus, it's about right. Stern, by the way, has been fined for curse words and protested constantly for sexual content. Not for race. So, he's more a shock jock than Imus is. Imus is just plain crabby. I've done some outragous things on the air. God knows how lucky I am not to be busted by the FCC, but I've never been desperate for a laugh by calling a woman any kind of "ho" on the air. It's wrong and I know that.

By the way, the word "nappy" is almost acceptable. It was announced that Halle Berry will star in a film called "Nappily Ever After", so at this point the word is pretty much okay to use at this point. Unless of course, after all of this, Hollywood changes it's mind and the title. We'll see.

The point I'm trying to make is firing Imus won't do anything. One of my favorite films is "A Face In The Crowd", about a homespun boy form the South who becomes a media sensation in the fifties who let's power go to his head. At one point, the character, played wonderfully by Andy Griffith, gets caught on the air after a show blasting his audience by calling them stupid and other words. As quick as it happens, he bcomes persona non grata to everyone he knows. At the end of the film, Walter Matheau makes a speech about how he'll lose the job, but someday he'll be back on the air, doing what he's known for, but not as popular as he once was. That's how it would be for Imus. I've seen it myself loads of times in this business. Opie and Anthony are a recent example. So, no matter what happens to the man, he'll always be around. Whether we want to listen to him or not.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home