Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Ten Years Later

I know some of you (okay, one guy) are wondering just how busy I am at school these days. Well, I can tell you that I have been busting my hump trying to get the work done and I'm only going part time as it is. But, I will say it is a pleasant change from the ordinary and knowing that I'll have a great future ahead once I graduate.

Speaking of which, I was given an assignment in my Stratagies for Success class in which I would detail what I would be doing in the next ten years. I'd have to meet up with friends who saw a media piece about me and how would I react to it? I thought I'd share it with you. There's a couple of familiar names here, so I hope they get a kick out it, too.

For almost a month now, my family had taken a cross country trip to see America and we were on our way home now. The trip started early summer as soon as the kids were out of school and we took a flight to California to visit friends and wrap up a few loose business ends . We then decided to rent an car and return home stopping off at various points of interests. When we stopped in Montana, I called up a a couple of old friends and asked them to meet up with us for a while. It was great to see David and Pandora as we got caught up on the the good old days. We met up at a wonderful restaraunt that evening that had what could have had the best the best steak I've ever eaten. It was nice to be able to take off the suit and tie and just be a family man for a bit. I know my wife was happy for that part.

"So Sam, I read about you in USA Today a while back about the tv deal. I can't believe you pulled that off", David said. "You are so lucky these days, pal. How did wind up pulling that off?" I thought about that for a moment, wondering how I was I able to pull it off.

Ever since I got into entertaimnent law, brokering the art of the deal has been an dangerous game. I've had to work with difficult talent, ruthless businessmen, powerful corporations all wanting to make a buck. I've had to make deals and break deals, all at a risk. But I knew if I kept my head up and not give in to the heady demands, I'd wind up with success.

"You know David, I could say it was luck. Sheer dumb luck, in fact. But all it took was rolling up my sleeves and getting down to work. Not just me, but an entire team to get it done. Trust me, if I didn't have everyone at the office there, I'd be a mess right now." I then caught a glance of my wife and kids and a smile began to rise on my face. "Plus, I've got them to keep me on my head on straight. If it wasn't for them, I don't know where I'd be right now. They have put up with so much junk for all of this, I thought I'd never be able to pay them back. Hopefully, this trip is a start."

"So, no business phone, no clients screaming for you to get them a deal on B.E.T," Pandora said. "C'mon, you're taking more than one day off here. They have to be cursing your name right now in New York for not being there now."

"They probably are. But I have a competant staff and I check in at least once a day to make sure that things don't blow up. Right now, my family is more important at this moment. I'll get back to the old grind in few days and clear up dust when we get home." That's when the business text went off and the numbers 911 popped up. Time for the fireman to put out another blaze.

So, where do you see yourself in ten years?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home