Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Music And The Lack Of Cultural Diversity In Radio

Okay, we got a lot to talk about here. First, let me apologize once again for the lateness of posting. It's really been a very busy week for me and it's going to be busier soon as preregestration for Spring Quarter rolls up and finals loom over my head. It's hear to think that I started on this in January, but I'm glad I made the decision to return to college. Truthfully, it keeps me occupied, which is great for me. I don't have to sit around the house and lament all the time. However, now I have no real time whatsoever to spend. With dialysis as a job unto itself, not to mention the real job and part time classes, I'm now gone seven days a week from the house, which by the way is in major disarray at this point. Maybe by Spring Break, I can do a Spring clean up. Hopefully.

Anyhow, I suppose you're wondering the title of this post? Well, that is the name of my one week late term paper. It began in January on the first day of my Strategies For Success class when my teacher Mrs. Rubin gave us a hand out with various topics included and told the students to pick one from the bunch for a term paper. It was t6o be four to five pages log with at least three references. There were such things as "Animals", "Parenting Skills", "Schitzophrenia" and so forth. I have nothing to do with the first, the last one I won't admit to and the others were just too much for me to deal with. Somehow, the term "cultural diversity" seemed to stand out to me. So, like a jackass, I picked it. Blindly. If you were to look at me notes for that day, you would see the term "cultural diversity" and a little "WFT?!" highlighted in orange.

So I began to research the subject, but it just felt too broad to me. How would I tackle a five page paper on cultural diversity and make it sound good? That when through my mind for days into weeks. As I said before, I've been busy. Thank goodness I'm sticking to being a part time student and taking only two classes. If I were to take a full load, I'd be rocking back and forth with a blue blanket saying, "No way out, no way out". Going to dialysis doesn't help either, since all I want to do when I'm done is just sleep. I've taken to turn off the phone more lately and just close my eyes after I'm done with that. I'm sore, tired and really, bike rides aren't on the schedule at the moment. So, you can imagine how I felt about the term paper.

Finally after weeks of trying to put it to paper, it hit me. Why not flip the term and use it towards something I know about? So I used the ttile that you see before you above. However, by the time I came up with it, it came down to the final week and a half of the paper being due. I asked Mrs. Rubin for an extention for the paper which she thankfully gave me and I jumped into the research with both feet. Since I don't have internet serveice at home, I went to the school library and pulled as much as could. I also checked my personal facts on the subject, using my own history of the topic and shaped the paper as much as possible. In the end, I think it turned out wonderful at five pages. I'd post it here but I won't since first of all, it's pretty long and two, it blasts radio, which I'm still doing. Mind you, I did a lot of research at the radio station and told no one of what I doing until it was done at the time. Yes, it's like biting the hand that feeds you, but I said what had to be said and it's done. I'm proud of it and I hope to get a good grade on the topic.

That being said, I've kind of realised how I go about writing. When I have to post here, usually there's a topic that I see on the web that day or something in the news at the moment that strikes my interest. I'll then try to post it as quickly as I can so I don't feel like I'm jumping on the same subject as other bloggers and look like I'm jumping on a bandwagon. However, it the topic is bit more personal, I'll sit on it a few days, run it through my head a bit and try to draft it out before making it public. I don't know if any of you writers work the same way, but somehow it helps me. That's how I was able to get my paper done for class. I started work on the final draft last Wednesday and today I'll put a nice sheen to it by making sure the bibliography comes out clean.

As for grading, I'm wishing for a A, but since it's late I just hope to come out with a B minus, tops. I'm also happy to have gotten as far as I have. When I started the idea of going back to school, I knew it would be a tough road to go down, but I'm glad to take up the challenge. I now have thre and a half years to go before I get my degree. This was just one paper entitled "Music and the Lack of Cultural Diversity in Radio". If I can pull that one off, then the theisis paper ought to be a hoot.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home