Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Sunday, August 13, 2006

MC HAMMER WEEKEND- Break It Down!

I had planned to post more vids yesterday, but the work day was long and then to follow it with dialysis was tough. So we're just gonna post a few more here today. Hope you like them.

Here's his first major video, "Turn This Mutha Out" from 1988. There were already rapper/dance acts making the rounds, but there was something different about Hammer that folks seem to like. He was different than most, being from Oakland and not gaining respect from the East Coast, where rap began. So when Hammer does show up on the scene and asked what he's gonna do about it in this clip, he sets up his first run of hits.




Here's the follow up to the last one, "They Put Me In The Mix", with concert footage shot in Detroit. I really miss that town.




Here of course is the song that put him over the top, "U Can't Touch This". Personally, it's not one of my favorites, plus when it came out in 1990, it was everywhere to the point that I was sick of it. But, it made The Hammer (and Rick James, bitch) millions, helped to bridge white audiences with rap and would be the beginning of the best "Behind The Music" ever.




Here's the video for "2 Legit 2 Quit" from 1991 and the album of the same name. Even though it sold strong from the start, it didn't sell as well the last ("Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'em" was the first hip hop album to go Diamond, selling over 10 million units) and began a downward spiral that included bankrupcy, the death of friend Tupac Shakur and recently, the selling of his rights to the songs he made famous. Though it all, Hammer still stands.



He still records and as of now has a new single out called "Look, Look", produced by Scott Storch. He also speads his gospel roots in his own church in California and on the air weekly on Trinity Broadcasting. Plus, his appearance on VH1's The Surreal Life has kept him in the spotlight. But with everything that's happened, he's held on to his sence of humor about it. Here's a recenct commercial featuring Hammer telling a 30 second history about his life.



So, that's about it. There are more videos I could run (I've been debating on "Pumps and a Bump" which was his first single for Giant after he left Capitol. The vision of Hammer in a banana hammock will either frighten or tintilate you). But, I just wanted to post a few here just to give the guy his props and how much more fun music was just a few years ago. I hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did and maybe the next time you see someone butcher "U Can't Touch This" and try to do the Chinese Typewriter during kareoke, you'll walk up to them and yell, "Stop! Hammer Time!"

UPDATE Even though I had just posted this just minutes ago, I had to do a sort up epiloge to it. I decided to do this on the spur of the moment on Thursday just for a lark and when I found the clips, I really never got watch them closely. I finally got around to taking a look a couple of them and it made me think that hip hop these days doesn't really have a showmman like that anymore. In rap these days, the norm is to be "hard" with the style I like to call "crack rap", with stories about slinging drugs and making paper. I may have had my tonge in cheek when I posted the videos, but it makes me long for when rappers were just in the club to have a good time and get their groove on without "throwin' bows" and "lettin' their chain hang low".

I also found out Hammer has his own blog as well. Check him out and tell him thanks for the good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home