Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The World MUST Be Coming To An End...

I know you're not watching VH1's Hip Hop Honors. I feel it. it's not a White Thing or a Black Thing. It's a "Where the Hell is 'The Surreal Life' Thing.

You gotta realize, I'm from the ORIGINAL Hip Hop Generation. Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Rock Steady, Busy Bee, Kurtis Blow. All that. One of my proudest moments was to be able to hang out with Russel Simmons during Run-DMC's Rasing Hell tour in 1998, talking about rap music and it's impact here in Savannah, Georgia.

So, when the VH1 special started with the Beastie Boys doing Run-DMC's "Sucker MC's", we(my roommate Joey and myself) went nuts. Especially Joey, who's only 25, White, and couldn't EVEN walk into Harlem without getting a staredown, but is as well versed in rap as much as I am. We were going wild watching this. The fact that it's on VH1 ALONE completely gave us a pimp slap to the side of the head.

So, if you don't know hip hop, if you want to understand what I know about rap, watch this show.
YEEEEAH, BOYEEEEE!

2 Comments:

Blogger david said...

"To the girl in green - don't be so mean!"

Kurtis Blow...what a classic tune. Great for aerobic exercise, too!

10:03 PM  
Blogger ESP said...

"Basketball" -- what a track. I'm wit 'cha, Sam. I was blessed to see the RH tour as well; but not blessed enuff to meet Russell Simmons..

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home