Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Monday, October 04, 2004

Almost Famous

I've been seeing things saying that blogging has become a phenomenon. It's made it's way now as a category on "Jeopardy". WHOO-HOOEY.

Make it stop.

Bad Sam. How dare you say that. WELL, THAT"S RIGHT, BLAHZEY BLAHZEY BLAHZEY you know the words.

See, it's mainstream media crap like that that kills it. Soon, everyone and their mother will be doing this. This is what Warhol was talking about when he said that everyone will have their fifteen minutes of fame. We already have that. It's called Reality TV. Where folks eat Rocky Mountain Oysters and trade wives and get fixed up by gay men, all on the same show.

I'm just scared that the whole thing is going to implode at some point. It happens with everything megahot. Remember Pet Rocks? Beanie Babies? Vanilla Ice?

My point exactly.

I did this at first to get crap off my chest that had been weighing me down for a long time. Then, I thought about it and thought that folks could be really reading this thing, so I made it more of a humor/pop culture blog. I'm still not sure 'bout that whole humor thing, but the boys at R&D are working on it. The thing is, there are going to be folks out there who decide to jump on the bandwagon and just have a blog to have one. AND JUST LET IT SIT THERE. You know what I'm talking about. The person that takes up bandwidth to just put something down online to look hip maybe once or twice and then POOF! You don't see them for days, weeks, months, et al. I can put up at least three or four links now of sites that are doing that, but I don't want to embarrass them. One of them is a good friend of mine who says he doesn't really have anything to say of importance. Well, I say...This is a harsh word that I don't thing I've ever used on this site due to kids reading, so cover their eyes for it.

I SAY BULLDOOKIE!

If you're going to do a blog, you have a responibilty to post often, because someone IS going to read it. I don't care if you just post about having a lousy breakfast, POST DANGGIT! This is not some kinda joke, this blogging thing. I should know. I put up a few things and just left it alone, never realizing ANYONE would really pay attention to what I was putting out there. Then, I stopped. Weeks later, I got a letter from Dave Hewitt (where ya been, Dave?), who wondered where the hell I was and why did I stop. It hit me then that I have to continue, if not just for myself, but for Dave and all the others out there who somehow like this page. Since then, I've been improving on this page everyday to make it THE 5,341,678th BEST BLOG IN THE WORLD!

Remember, Uncle Ben once said, "With great power comes great responsibility". He meant that for EVERYONE. Including bloggers. If you already have one, please. Don't stop writing. If you're looking to have one, look at others and think really hard before making a commitment to do one. Everyone has something to say. Please, say it loud and in Times font often. Don't let blogging go the way of the MC Hammer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still alive and reading you every day. I loved your bit on the comic book show - I now know not to go to one. I actually looked at Amazon for Russ Meyer DVD's because of your blog.

When you first started blogging I Googled your blog and you had nothing pointing to you. I checked again yesterday and you have several blogs pointing to you. Infact, some of your archived pages are in Google.

Keep on posting,

Dave Hewitt

11:16 AM  
Blogger david said...

Righteous, Sam -- I agree with you 100%. I take blogging very seriously -- as much as gearheads take their weekend hobby of fixing up their cars, or as seriously as intramural jocks take their softball/baseball/golf games.

10:25 PM  
Blogger catfishvegas said...

Right on Sam. Keep writin' and I'll keep readin'. You've got a great attitude and an interesting perspective...

11:53 PM  
Blogger Jack's Shack said...

Sam,

I agree with much of what you said. Most importantly I agree about the need to keep on writing, to update your blog regularly.

If you want to have a voice in cyberspace, you should do so. Don't abdicate the responsibility you took on when you began this venture.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home