Sam-a-rama!

"Say, does this look funny to you?"

Sunday, August 08, 2004

"Fire and Desire"

Let us speak of Rick James for a moment, shall we?

I've gotten a few comments on him from some folks. Of course, somebody had to write in "I'm Rick James, bitch". It's kind of sad that he'll be remembered that way, but the man was larger than life. Rick James had intensity like no other. Here's a man who walked on stage withthe biggest spliff in the world singing "Mary Jane". As a kid, I didn't know what the song meant. Back in the seventies, for me at least, life was Happy Days and Mork & Mindy. When I got to high school, I finally got to find out who she was.

She was a good date. Anyway, where was I?

I knew about the man fron the hits he had. "Give It To Me, Baby". "Cold Blooded". "You and I". "Fire and Desire". "Ebony Eyes" with Smokey Robinson. I don't even need to mention "Super Freak" now, do I? I could very easily make this a whole "Y'all was lucky we gave you 'Super Freak, 'cause you had nothing else to dance to" thing. But Rick's music was available to everyone who wanted to hear it. I'm not even going to complian about "Party All The Time" because that was Rick, concentrated.

Now everyone sees the man as a coke hound who parties too much, slaps folks as a joke and locks women in his basement. Let's forget that for a sec. Yes, the man had his demons. But that devil made some of the best funk I've ever heard, then and now. I'll still laugh everytime I see him on "Chappelle's Show" because at least I understand his past. For the rest of you, go buy his records ( not cd's. That's right, I said it) and get a lesson.

By the way: The whole "I'm Rick James, bitch" thing? It was funnier coming from Wayne Brady. So just stop it. It's over now.

3 Comments:

Blogger ESP said...

"Oh [expletive]! It's Wayne Brady!"

"Break yo'self, fool!" (gunfire)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

*sigh*
You do and you do, but it just get's crazier.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Rick was a man among boys a colossus to the world he strode the gap between funk and punk, he was a great man and will be missed, Good to see you same havent seen you out and about recently, at the comic store or Wet Willies, I hope that you are well and all this hospital stuff is not keeping you down, I know how hard it can be I have been in and out of the hospital 30 times in the last 3 years due to diabeates. I hope you are well and keep up the fight, BTW this is glen that Green Lantern Nut job with the buffy addict girlfriend from the comic box hope to read again soon

Glen

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home